From the Associate Rector - June 18th 2021
In this note I will cover:
- Changing Protocols for Sunday Services
- Our new Sound System!
- This Sunday’s Epiphany Talks – Amplify Women Composers
On Tuesday, New York State reached a milestone of 70% of adults receiving at least one dose of the vaccine, and New York City has relaxed all Covid restrictions. Thanks be to God! The Church of Epiphany Parish and Day School are still sorting out all the details of our operational protocols going forward, but here is what we can say about Sunday morning services:
• Beginning this Sunday, masks are no longer required. One is still welcome to wear their mask if that is their preference.
• We ask that you please register your attendance at our services for this Sunday, but as of Sunday, 27 June, we will no longer require pre-registration.
• Our chairs will still be spaced 6’ a part this Sunday, but our seating plan will be revised going forward. For now, please be aware that some may still wish to distance, and please respect others’ personal space.
• This Sunday, we will still serve Communion in one kind only, but going forward, we will offer the Common Cup to all. If you do not wish to receive the consecrated Wine, you may simply cross your arms over your chest to indicate your preference.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Fr. Roy or myself.
SOUND: Many of you have provided feedback on the sound issues on our live streaming of the 10:30 am service. I’m pleased to share that a new sound system was installed this past Tuesday, which should not only improve sound on the live stream, but also the sound in the church. I invited your continued feedback as we fine tune the system. The live stream can be found at https://www.epiphanynyc.org/
This Sunday we will return to Zoom for a “Pop-up” Epiphany Talks: Amplify Women Composers. Organists Janet Yieh and Carolyn Craig join us to discuss this important project, which seeks to encourage the performance of sacred music by female composers and arrangers. Their hope is to expand the rich repertoire of music in liturgical music programs, and to send this excellent music out into the world as a helpful resource for all church musicians and music lovers alike. In December 2020, Amplify Female Composers presented The Advent Calendar Project, a collaborative initiative of daily video broadcasts of Advent and Christmas choral music by female composers and arrangers, sung by participating parish, cathedral and university choirs from the US and UK. In March 2021, they streamed a virtual meditation on the fourteen Stations of the Cross, with an organ piece by a female composer reflecting on Lenten themes accompanying each Station.
I had the privilege of working with both Janet and Carolyn when they were both Organ Scholars at my previous parish, Trinity on the Green. They are both brilliant, and I can’t wait for you to meet them. Join us on Zoom on Sunday at 1:00 – use this Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
For more information and to find music and videos, please visit www.amplifyfemalecomposers.org
I look forward to seeing you soon, and seeing your smiles again, too!